Monday 11 January 2016

Little Hatchet: Short Session Success - Sam Crouch

Little Hatchet: Short Session Success

Sam Crouch


I had been planning to do some time on Little Hatchet, but after walking round the lake and speaking to different anglers I found out that most of the original stock had died including fish known as The Big common & The Horse etc.

However there was one fish that had been on my mind since seeing a photo of it, the biggest mirror in the lake, the one they call ‘The Ugly One’.

One evening after work I decided to wet a line in there for the first time, so I had the car loaded ready for the short session ahead. I arrived at the lake straight from work and set off for a walk round.

As I was walking round I managed to locate some carp in a reedy bay next to some lily pads. I quickly got my gear from the car & carefully placed a single pop-up to where I could seen the fish.

After an hour or so of not seeing any signs that the fish were feeding I was starting to think I might have spooked the carp off the area but just then I saw a fish move in over my spot next to the pads, a big chunky big mirror, with its tail just breaking the surface right on my spot.

Within seconds my rod ripped off with the fish charging straight into the pads. After a dodgy battle I manage to work its way out of the pads & shortly after it came to the surface and after one last fight for freedom it was  in the net, it was mine!




I knew straight away which one it was because it is the only big mirror left in Little Hatchet and is also a proper old character known by many anglers but rarely seen on the bank. I was over the moon. 

'The Ugly Fish' 30lb 10oz

She went 30lb 10oz on the scales. After a few snaps & a few water shots I gently let her back to fight another day!



Sam Crouch - Noble's Fishing



No comments:

Post a Comment