Monday 11 January 2016

First Day of the Season - Sam Crouch

First Day of the Season - Hatchet Pond

Sam Crouch



After fishing the main lake for the odd day through the summer months last year I decided to give it a good go this year so after walking the lakes in the close season I couldn't wait to get on there for my first session of 2015.

On the evening of June 15th I decided to pre bait an area that I had seen fish consistently throughout the closed season.

The morning of June 16th arrived and I was at the lake for first light, unfortunately someone was already at the lake and in the swim that I baited the previous night.

I walked the lake hoping to see signs of feeding fish and lucky enough for me I did. I set up in an area where I had fished the year previous and had some success & I flicked out my baits feeling confident that something would happen and that I was in the right place.

It started off slow for me but at 11am my right hand rod was away! While playing a scrappy little common my left hand rod went into melt down, after netting the first fish I quickly unhooked the common of around 13lb in the net and let him go. I got to the other rod which resulted in another small common around the same size.

After getting the rods back out it wasn't until around 4 o'clock when I had my third take. After putting up a hectic fight & weeding me up a couple of times I managed to slip the net under yet another carp.

Original Hatchet Mirror - 21lb+

 This one was a bit more special, it is the only original mirror left in the lake weighing in at 21lb+.

Over the moon with catching the last fish, I changed the rig, tied a PVA bag and got it back out there in hope of maybe just one more fish before I called it a day. Just as the kettle boiled for a cup of tea the right hand bobbin smashed against the alarm and it was away! 

After another awesome fight I landed a hard fighting common of 19lb+. I quickly got the rod back out on the spot in hope of getting one more bite.

19lb+ Hatchet Common


I gave it until dark which didn't result in any more takes but I was happy the way the day went, a great start to the season and I couldn't wait to get back up there for a few more!


Sam Crouch - Noble's Fishing








No comments:

Post a Comment