Monday 27 January 2014

Catching ‘One Eye’ - Mopley Pond - Martin Noble

Catching ‘One Eye’

Martin Noble

 
Like all my recent sessions I’ve been leaving work Saturday evening & getting straight out fishing doing Saturday nights & Sunday days. With all the gear in the van I was down the lake & setting up in the dark by around 6.30pm. The skies were clear & temperature fairly mild considering. Fellow team member Reuben Hoon was already at the lake & set up. I moved in a swim just down the bank from him where I’ve had some recent success so I know what spots to hit even in the dark.

By about 8pm I was all set up with my oval brolly & bad chair tucked in underneath with all my gear. Looking at the forecast the weather looked to be fine through the night so I didn’t bother setting up my bivvy. The sky was gin clear with no moon & the stars were out in abundance.
 
I had 3 rods out, my left rod just up the bank tucked tight in my own margins to a little overhanging bush, the middle rod to an over hanging branch on island margins to which I had had success from over a NYE session & the right hand rod cast tight to island margins just in front of some dying reeds.


Combi Rig
Each rod was set up with a Combi Rig presented with a 16mm Red Bull boilie & pink 6mm tipper. Around each spot I put about 20 freebies and each line was cast out with a small PVA bag of crushed Red Bull boilies.
With the traps set it was time to sit back quietly and wait for a take. Reuben & I sat back & spoke of fishing stories & about the fish that we would like to catch from the lake which we had seen in past photographs.

Around 11pm my middles rods swinger slowly started to rise up to the rod, with no time to waste I struck straight into it & instantly knew what was on the other end…a bream! I quickly got a fresh rig on & got the rod back out to the spot after a couple of casts. It was getting on for 11.30pm & we decided to call it a day & retired to our sleeping bags. I must have been tired because I slept like a log through the night with nothing happening on the rods.


Scaly Mirror in the net!

I was still in deep sleep when I was awoken by a screaming run at 6am on my left hand margin rod which was bend right round as the fish powered off up the back. I quickly was out the sleeping back & into what was definitely a carp this time!

After about a 10 minute battled & taking out the lines on my 2 other rods I slipped the net under a beautiful scaly Mirror carp that looked around the 20lb mark! Reuben was awoken by the commotion & came over to take a look & get some snaps!
 
As we lifted it in the sling the scales went to 19lb 4oz! Not quite 20lb but didn’t matted as it was a beauty! After a few snaps I gently slipped it back & started to get the rods sorted after being wiped out. By this time it was starting to get light which made getting to my spot perfect this time round. With all 3 rods recast I put about another 20 freebies around each spot & put the kettle on!

19lb 4oz Mirror taken in the margins a few yards up from my swim!
 
The sky was starting to rapidly cloud over & it looked like it wouldn’t be long before the rain was going to set in. Around 10am the heavens opened and the rain started coming down along with gale force winds. Throughout the day the rain didn’t give up and a couple of times my umbrella took off in the winds even though it was pegged firmly down. In the end I found a length of rope in my van & tied it down to a fence post in the swim to try & stop loosing it completely.
 

There was not much happened through the day & it was hard to see for signs of fish with the winds battering the water, trees & reeds. I spent most of the day tucked up in my sleeping bag trying to stay warm & out of the never ending rain.

Finally around 3pm the rain finally eased off and the sun started trying to break through the clouds. Finally I could get out from under the brolly & stretch my legs. I considered recasting with fresh baits for the last couple of hours before dark came in again, but I knew I was bang on my spots & decided to leave them as they were, which was a good thing because around  4pm my right hand rod on the island margins went tearing off. I struck straight into it & it instantly embedded itself deep down in a clump of reeds. I kept the pressure on and moved to different spots to try to try & ease it out. After a few minutes it suddenly came free, along with a clump or reeds attached. It stayed down deep but it felt fairly good. Finally after about 10 minutes it came to the surface, a solid bar of gold common & one I didn’t recognise. I manage to slip the net under it along with the clump of reeds, it was a stunning looking fish.

Once I got it onto the mat realised that it only had 1 eye, its missing eye had completely healed over so must have lost it a long time ago.
 
One Eye Common
I got in the sling & it went 18lb 14oz on the scales. I was over the moon with this fish, not only was it a beautiful fish but it also looked like it wasn’t caught very often & was also one I had never seen before in past photos.

I gently slipped her back & got the rod straight back out but by this time the light was already starting to fade.
 

 
18lb 14oz of pure gold common! - 'One Eye'
 
 
Around 6pm we decided to call it a day as the darkness fell. It was a nice little session even though the weather was terrible. These short little over nighters have proved to be very productive over the last couple of weeks although I’m looking forward to the summer months again with the long light evenings & early sunrises!

 

Martin Noble – Noble’s Fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment