Tuesday 3 December 2013

What France is all about! - George West


What France is all about - Abbey’s Fox lake
George West

 After what seemed like forever, the time was only was upon us to make our way over to Abbey’s Fox lake, which is a 2 hour drive from Calais. With the usual buzz and excitement on the ferry before a French trip, with question flying around my head like;  how’s it been fishing? Where will the fish be? Where will I come out in the draw? We finally arrived at the picturesque and big carp mecca that is Abbey lakes and our chosen lake, Fox Lake.
Size doesn’t usually bother me but I was dreaming about slipping the net under a big French Carp of 40lb+ and having only been to France once before, which didn’t exactly go to plan I was hoping this would be some improvement.
There were 11 of us in total and we all had a good look round and I could see everyone’s brains ticking away as they tried to work out where the fish would be and there were definitely a few swims I fancied. Having come out at number 5 I managed to get in my 3rd choice swim which was due to be at the receiving end of strong wind for the next couple of days. I was more than happy with and as it happens I was next to fellow Ultima consultant Dave Fuidge so I could punish his wealthy knowledge up while waiting for the Carp to make an appearance!
The first 2 nights went without any action and I was beginning to feel like the French Carp had it in for me! The wind never came in the direction it was supposed to, so once again the weathermen got it wrong.  Due to there being 20 plus swims I had the option to move and had a good look round and settled on a swim where I’d seen a few fish show the previous evening.

First French Carp - 33lb 6oz

I located a small clearing in the weed at 50 yards range that was raised 1ft above everything else and placed 2 rods on this spot, and proceeded to place 3 kilo of Contrast on top. The other was another on a silty patch over particle. My rigs were simple combi rigs with Entity in 18lb for the boom section and Phantom in 15lb for the supple. That same day I finally slipped the net under my first French fish and at 33lb 6, I was buzzing as the pressure was now off,  this was followed by a 26lb mirror so it was evident the move had paid off.
                                                                                                  

26lb 8oz

 
After an uneventful night I was awoken to the sun slowly creeping above the trees in front and as my eyes began to focus I saw my bobbin slowly pull to the top and the clutch started slowly ticking which was a complete contrast to the savage takes the other 2 fish gave me. Instantly it weeded me up and as boats were allowed I set sail in my bright green blow up dingy and it’s fair to say I will never get in one again. The fish towed me around in circles and after a comical battle much to the amusement of the lads I finally caught a glimpse of my prize and it was a lump at that. After ripping a load of weed away from the fish that it was caught up in I eventually slipped the net under it with a  big “Get in” echoing around the lake! I then had to attempt to row the fish in my blow up dingy half way across the lake which was easier said than done!

Once on the bank I knew it was what I was after and the big dark old mirror swung the needle round to 43lb 12, happy days! That same night a couple of the other lads also caught new pb’s so there was definitely a buzz around the place. As a result we decided to reel in during the day and punish all the other lads around the lake who we bored with the stories of our fish!
 


43lb 12oz
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

That night after a few of us went to the club house and the bailiff there had a rule where if you caught a pb you had no option but to be thrown in. Not being the biggest I had no choice but to accept I was going for a swim so that lads grabbed me and threw me in, but I’d take that for new pb for that any day! After a few celebratory beers we wandered back to the swims and got the rods out in anticipation for what else this lake could throw at us.
 
The fish kept coming for me after that and I finished with 7 fish overall!
 
Scaly Stunner!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I wasn’t a massive fan on France before this trip but I’ll definitely be going again. It’s not just about the fishing but  the social side of things as well and we all had a good laugh with plenty of banter.
 
George West - Noble's Fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment